Blue Planet Energy Systems, LLC is one of Elemental Excelerator's 2018 cohort companies and Elemental Excelerator will be funding this position.
About Blue Planet Energy Systems, LLC
Blue Planet Energy is making the promise of grid independence a reality. With Blue Ion – the industry’s most powerful, most reliable, and safest energy storage solution – Blue Planet Energy customers are experiencing true freedom from the old monopoly utilities. Powered by safe lithium batteries, the Blue Ion energy storage system is guaranteed to deliver a higher-quality, longer- lasting solution at the industry’s lowest cost of ownership. From our base in Honolulu, Hawai’i, we have delivered our product to over 20 US states, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Canada and continue to expand into new markets.
Scope of Work
Our key markets are off-grid energy usage, resiliency, and microgrids. Traditional markets for off- grid power, including agriculture and the prepper community, are being joined by market segments such as “tiny home” owners and even regular residential and commercial power customers. The off-grid market has very distinct segments and can be difficult to find information on, both in the US and abroad. Key to our path forward is precise targeting of specific off-grid market segments and refining the go to market strategies for each. We are seeking an intern to dive into our existing information on market opportunities to refine our go to market strategies for each segment and inform detailed plans for market expansion. The market research and analysis will involve customer interviews, stakeholder mapping, analytical analysis and internet research to develop prioritized targets including geographic, demographic and economic profiles. We seek someone with enough experience in market research to assess the situation and design a market research project that will provide valuable insight and actionable results.
Market Analyst Fellow Project Descriptions
Here are the primary projects that have been designed and scoped for this internship opportunity.
- Partnership opportunities research
- Perform internet research to identify potential partners within existing markets.
- Develop profile of potential partners and alignment with Blue Planet Energy product and market experience
- Track potential partners by entering and updating records in company CRM.
- Market research for geographic expansion
- Develop map of key stakeholders in new markets
- Internet research to gather available data on market size and dynamics
- Communications outreach to key stakeholders in new markets to set up interviews
- Collaborate in creating Go To Market strategies for priority markets.
- Market research by product application
- Develop reports on market opportunities for new applications of existing products.
- Gather and analyze quantitative data on the market size.
- Identify existing competition and potential partners for each application.
- Conduct research and interviews to validate product fit for given markets.
- Vendor partner research
- Conduct internet research to discover new potential vendor partners.
- Compile data on features and cost characteristics of potential vendor partners.
- Fundraising research
- Research and document relevant deals in the industry
- Research potential investors to inform priorities and content for meetings
- Follow-ups with founder after meetings to take notes on what happened
- Update CRM about changes with funders.
- Other duties as assigned
- Compensation: $25.00 per hour
- Schedule: The fellowship will be 12 months. Start date is as soon as possible after March 1, 2019.
- Hours: Approximately 40 hours per week, with flexibility to accommodate class schedule during the year.
- Location: Can be remote. Primary staff for collaboration are in California. Available office space in Honolulu, HI.
Required and Preferred Qualifications
- Required relevant studies or work experience related to market research, business development or energy. Preferably studies focused on the following fields: Marketing, business management, market research, economics.
- Analytic, strategic and communication skills in order to translate research findings into actionable recommendations.
- Qualitative and quantitative research skills preferred. Background in economics useful and experience in market research preferred.
- Fluency with Microsoft Suite or Google Docs Suite required; Experience with database software, such as MS Access or a CRM, preferred.
- Required to be available for the duration of the internship, 12 months from start date.
- Must have a team approach and innovative spirit and be willing to engage in a broad
range of activities and experiences
- Able to learn quickly and follow directions
- Highly organized with attention for detail
- Ability to self-direct and work independently and know when to ask for support
- Interest and passion for renewable and clean energy, anthropology, and startups.
How To Apply
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and field related/technical experience into one pdf document and email to email@example.com with the subject title: BLUE PLANET ENERGY SYSTEMS – Market Analyst Fellow.