Become part of Hawaii’s conservation story
Allerton and McBryde Garden Gardeners
National Tropical Botanical Garden, South Shore
The National Tropical Botanical Garden is seeking candidates for the positions of Full Time Gardeners in both Allerton and McBryde Gardens.
This position requires the skills and/or ability to learn the skills, practices, and procedures of landscape management and maintenance. Qualified applicant will have a strong desire to care for plants and plant collections in a world class botanical garden setting. Must possess good communication and team work skills. Experience with native Hawaiian plants, edible crops and/or display gardens a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- General Plant Collection Maintenance: water, fertilize, weed, prune, and stake plants. Willing and able to apply organic and chemical fertilizers. Able to evaluate needs of plants and make recommendations on improving garden plant care practices.
- Operate a variety of garden power tools including lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, hedge trimmers and others.
- Practice good planting practices, and remove plants as needed. Monitor new plantings to ensure the highest survival rate possible.
- Perform lawn maintenance by mowing and/or weed eating.
- Keep collections weed free and pest free as possible through applied Integrated Pest Management practices when feasible. When necessary must be able willing to apply herbicides and pesticides
- Control weeds in landscaped and other designated areas through physical, mechanical and chemical methods.
- Keep all areas of the garden looking neat and well kept and debris free.
- Maintain all garden tools and vehicles responsibly, and in a safe manner. Must keep tools and vehicles clean and in good working order.
- Assist visitors, researchers and other garden guests as needed.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by garden management.
- Must be able to work outdoors for long hours in a variety of weather conditions. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and bend, kneel on the ground and stretch above your head.
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
Posted OnSeptember 5, 2019
Closing DateJanuary 1, 2019
OrganizationNational Tropical Botanical Garden
LocationNational Tropical Botanical Garden, South Shore
Position TypeFull Time