Pono Pacific is an equal opportunity employer that seeks individuals who are team players, community minded, and possess a desire to make a positive impact. At Pono Pacific we strive to nurture a culture of hard workers with positive attitudes and strong moral character. The Farm Manager will act as a representative of Pono Pacific, with a primary focus of managing the operations at a diversified agricultural operation on the North Shore of Oahu. A Farm Manager will act in the best interest of the company, in the best interest of the employees, and act in a fair, safe, effective, and legal manner.
The Farm Manager will work directly under the direction of Pono’s Vice President. The Farm Manager’s responsibilities will include management of a diversified agricultural operation including sustainable farming, renewable energy resources and visitor experiences, managing employees, tenant farmer management and coordination of parties who access the site. He/She should possess a high degree of organization, professionalism, leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
Specific Position Goals/Expectations:
- Directs and coordinates worker activities, such as irrigation, chemical application, grading, payroll, and recordkeeping.
- Ensure that the crew has the tools/equipment it needs to meet project milestones, and that all equipment is functioning properly.
- Create project schedules that include materials estimates and manpower to be submitted to management.
- Assist in documenting project phases and creating summary reports for company management.
- Work with field personnel to handle project issues as they arise.
- Contracts with farmers or independent owners for raising of crops or for management of crop production.
- Coordinates growing activities among tenant plots based on a predetermined distribution plan.
- Confers with purchasers and arranges for sale of crops.
- Analyzes soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production.
- Inspects fields to determine maturity dates of crops or to estimate potential crop damage from weather.
- Hires, discharges, transfers, and promotes workers, enforces safety regulations, and interprets policies.
- Assists the Vice President additionally as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or related field preferred.
- Proven work experience as a Farm Manager or similar role.
- 6+ years of experience.
- Demonstrated logistical and tactical experience.
- Strong team player.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite.
- Time management skills.
Starting Pay: Commensurate on education and experience
- Health care with dental, drug, and vision
- Vacation, sick, jury, and bereavement pay
- 401(k) Plan
- Training and development opportunities